Dr. McKelvey specializes in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of complex cases, psychoanalytically-oriented psychotherapy of children and adolescents, and psychopharmacology. He is especially interested in the care of persons from other cultural traditions, an outgrowth of his many years of clinical and research involvement with refugees from Southeast Asia, and particularly Vietnam. Prior to entering medicine, he served as a Captain in the US Marine Corps during the Vietnam War earning a Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V", and it was that experience that stimulated his interest in both medicine and cross-cultural psychiatry.
In his spare time he enjoys spending time with his wife, children, grandchildren, and their bullmastiffs. He is also very interested in reading German history and literature, a pursuit that began in college and continues to the present day. He tries to exercise daily on a rowing machine and treadmill located, as his wife puts it, in the man-cave.
Click here for Robert's complete Curriculum Vitae in PDF format
- Private practice of Child, Adolescent, Adult Psychiatry
- BA - Harvard College (Magna Cum Laude), 1966
- MD - Dartmouth, Hanover, 1974
- Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, 1975-1977
- Child Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, 1977-1979
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry, 1980
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Child Psychiatry, 1982
- Professor of Psychiatry, Oregon Heath and Science University
Memberships and Associations:
- American College of Psychiatrists
- American Psychiatric Association - Distinguished Life Fellow
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Life Fellow
- Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists - Fellow
- 2006 - Reflections on a war: A Memoir of the Vietnam War and its effects on the people of Vietnam (book)
- 2009 - "Euthanasia" and German psychiatrists from 1933 to 1945
- 2009 - Children of Soldiers: A Collaborative Research Project on the lives of children of foreign soldiers and native women in England, Germany, and Vietnam
Full Papers in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- McKelvey RS: A continuum of mental health care for children and adolescents. Journal of Hosp. and Comm. Psychiatry, 39(8):870-873, 1989.
- McKelvey RS: A physician's guide through the child and adolescent mental health system. Texas Medicine, 85(7):36-39, July, 1989.
- McKelvey RS: The coming crisis in funding child psychiatry training. Am. J. Psychiatry, 147:1220-1224, 1990.
- Webb JA, Baer PE, McLaughlin RJ, McKelvey RS,Caid CD: Risk Factors and their Relation to Initiation of Alcohol Use among Early Adolescents. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiat., 30(4):563-568, 1991.
- Webb JA, Baer PE, Caid CD, McLaughlin RJ, McKelvey RS: Concurrent and longitudinal assessment of risk for alcohol use among seventh graders. Journal of Early Adolescence, 11(4):450-458, 1991.
- McKelvey RS, Mao AR, Webb JA: A Risk Profile Predicting Psychological Distress in Vietnamese Amerasian Youth. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 31(5):911-915, 1992.
- Webb JA, Baer PA, Caid CD, McKelvey RS, Converse RE: Development of an Abbreviated Form of the Alcohol Expectancy Questionnaire for Adolescents. Journal of Early Adolescence, Volume 12(4):441-456, 1992.
- McKelvey RS, Mao AR, Webb JA: Premigratory Expectations and Mental Health Symptoms in a group of Vietnamese Amerasian Youth. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 32(2):414-418, 1993.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA, Mao AR: Pre-Migratory Risk Factors in Vietnamese Amerasians. Am. J. Psychiatry, 150:470-473, 1993.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: Long-term Effects of Maternal Loss on Vietnamese Amerasians. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 32(5):1013-1018, 1993.
- McKelvey RS: Refugee Patients and the Practice of Deception. Am. J. Orthopsychiatry, 64(3):368-375,1994.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: Career Satisfaction Among Psychiatrists in Texas. South. Med. J., 88(5):524-530, 1995.Robert S. McKelvey, M.D.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: A Pilot Study of Abuse Among Vietnamese Amerasians. Child Abuse and Neglect, 19(5):545-553, 1995.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: Unaccompanied status as a risk factor in Vietnamese Amerasians. Soc. Sci. Med., 41:261-266, 1995.
- Webb JA, Baer PE, McKelvey RS: Development of a risk profile for intentions to use alcohol among 5th and 6th graders. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc.Psychiatry, 34(6):772-778, 1995.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: Premigratory expectations and post-migratory mental health. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 35:240-245, 1996.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA, Strobel RM: The Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in Vietnamese Amerasians: A Pilot Study. Am. J. Orthopsychiatry, 66:409-415,1996.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: A Comparative Study of Amerasians, Their Siblings, and Unrelated Like-Aged Vietnamese. Am. J. Psychiatry, 153:561-563, 1996.
- Webb JA, Baer PE, Getz JG, McKelvey RS: Do Fifth Graders' Attitudes and Intentions Toward Alcohol Use Predict Seventh Grade Use?" J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 35:1611- 1617, 1996.
- Webb JA, McKelvey RS: Replication and Extension of a Risk Profile for Amerasian Youth. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10:645-654, 1997.
- McKelvey RS, Sang DL, Tu HC: Is There a Role for Child Psychiatry in Vietnam? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 31:114-119,1997.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: Comparative levels of psychological distress in pre-migratory Vietnamese Amerasians and a Vietnamese community sample. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 31:543-548, 1997.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA: A prospective study of psychological distress related to refugee camp experience. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 31:549-554, 1997.
- McKelvey RS, Davies LC, Pfaff J, Acres J, Edwards SJ: Psychological distress and suicidal ideation among 15 to 24 year olds presenting to general practice - a pilot study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 32:344-348, 1998.
- McKelvey RS: Vietnamese Amerasians: The children we left behind. Mots Pluriels, 7:1998. A referreed electronic journal, web site: www.arts.uwa.edu.au/MotsPluriels/MP798index.html
- Davies L, McKelvey RS: Emotional and behavioural problems and competencies among immigrant and non-immigrant adolescents. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 32:658-665, 1998.
- McKelvey RS, Webb JA, Baldassar L, Robinson S, Riley G. Ineffective sexual health communication among medical and nursing students. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 33: 260-266, 1999.
- McKelvey RS, Davies L, Sang DL, Pickering K, Tu HC: Problems and competencies among children and adolescents in Hanoi. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 38: 731-737, 1999.
- McKelvey RS, Baldassar L, Sang DL, Roberts L. Vietnamese parental perceptions of child and adolescent mental illness. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 38: 1302-1309, 1999.
- Forbes D, Withers G, Silburn S, McKelvey R. Psychological and social characteristics and Precipitants of vomiting in children with cyclic vomiting syndrome. Digestive Diseases & Sciences, 44 (8 Supplement): 19S-22S, 1999.
- Webb JA, Getz JG, Baer PE, McKelvey RS: Motives for Drinking Alcohol and their Relation to Intentions to Use Alcohol in Fifth and Sixth Graders. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 69: 541-547, 1999.
- Zubrick SA, Kurinczuk JJ, McDermott B, McKelvey RS, Silburn S, Davies LC: Fetal Growth and Subsequent Mental Health Problems in Children Ages 4 to 13. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 42: 14-20, 2000.
- Pfaff JJ, Acres JA, McKelvey RS: Recognising and responding to psychological distress and suicidal ideation in young people following training for general practitioners. Medical Journal of Australia, 174: 222-226, 2001.
- McKelvey RS, Pfaff JJ, Acres JA: The Relationship between Chief Complaints, Psychological Distress, and Suicidal Ideation in 15 through 24 year old Patients Presenting to Primary Care. Medical Journal of Australia, 550-552, 2001.
- McDermott BM, McKelvey RS, Roberts L, Davies L: Severity of children's psychopathology and impairment and its relationship to treatment setting. Psychiatric Services, 53:57-62, 2002.
- McKelvey RS, Davies L, Sang DL, Tu HC: The Prevalence of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders among Vietnamese-origin children in Western Australia. Medical Journal of Australia, 177:413-417, 2002.
- Lewy C, Sells W, Gilhooly J, McKelvey RS: Adolescent Depression: Evaluating Pediatric Residents' Knowledge, Confidence, and Interpersonal Skills Using Standardized Patients. Academic Psychiatry. 2009 Sep-Oct;33(5):389-93.
- The Dust of Life: America's Children Abandoned in Vietnam. University of Washington Press: Seattle, 1999.
- A Gift of Barbed Wire: America's Allies Abandoned in South Vietnam. University of Washington Press: Seattle, 2002.
- When A Child Dies: How Pediatric Physicians and Nurses Cope. University of Washington Press, 2007.
- McKelvey RS, Sells W, Eddins, F, Folensbee R: A CD-ROM Program Teaching Primary Care Physicians to Diagnosis And Treat Depressed and Suicidal Adolescents.
- Remembered Pain. Journal of the American Medical Association, 260(5):693,1988.
- War and Peace. Dartmouth Medicine, Summer, 1990.
- Looking for Hope in the Lotus. Dartmouth Medicine, Winter, 1991.
- Review of Minefields in their Hearts. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic.
- Review of Children of Cambodia's Killing Fields: Memoirs by Survivors. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 37:236—237, 1998.
- Review of Handbook of Multicultural Mental Health: Assessment and Treatment of Diverse Populations. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 40:1240-1241, 2001.